Telephone: 01929 400546
Lulworth Castle and Estate

Lulworth Castle and Estate

 

Lulworth castle was built in the early 17th Century as a hunting lodge, and became a country house at the heart of a large estate. Thomas Howard, 3rd Lord Bindon, built the Castle in order to entertain hunting parties for the King and Court.
The Howards owned it until 1641 when it was purchased by Humphrey Weld, the direct ancestor of the present owners.
 
The exterior of the Castle has changed little over the years but the interior evolved in line with changing fashions until it was gutted by a disastrous fire in 1929.
Restoration work began on the ruin by the Department of the Environment and was followed through to completion in 1998 by English Heritage.
 
The Castle grounds make for a brilliant family day out with activities and fun for visitors of all ages. 

Click here to visit the Lulworth Castle and Estate website